Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Persevere

I am feeling the need, with my lack of motivation/desire to do anything and nothing, to persevere, to remember what it was that God said last to focus on, and to do that faithfully while waiting for Him to reveal more of Himself. To stand firm in the things that I know He has asked me to do - be kind, faithful, generous, patient, loving - which could keep me busy for the rest of my life, and pray that He will complete these things in me as I wait.

I'm also feeling the need to cling to His Word, not because of its benefits to me anymore, but because it's Truth, it's solid, it's unchanging, it's my only Hope of maneuvering through this world with any purpose. So often I convince myself of the reasons why I should be obedient because of the benefits of said obedience, instead of just saying, "I love you, Daddy, and therefore I will obey. You are Lord, and have the right to my life."

I was challenged by this today from an email that I received through this online mentoring program that I get the blessing and challenge of being a participating in. The girl was telling me that she's heard all these reasons as to why she shouldn't have pre-marital sex, from God's Word, from other believers, etc., but even as a believer herself, she isn't convinced, not even by the Holy Spirit inside of her that convicts of every time she has sex with her boyfriend.

When did we make Christianity about our benefit and not about being obedient to what God's Word says? When did we make not have pre-marital sex more about avoid STDs than doing it because God says to honor the marriage bed? We accept His salvation greatly and gratefully, but we rejected His Lordship from the get-go with our attitudes of convenient obedience.

Maybe the 'we' really is just me - because I can only speak for myself - but I'm being challenged today, as Joshua was, to answer "As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." -not serve my flesh, not serve my emotions, not serve my reputation or what others think of me - but serve the Lord, give Him my life, my time, my desires, my money - all of it.

"But remember, dear friends, that the apostles of our Master, Jesus Christ, told us this would happen: "In the last days there will be people who don't take these things seriously anymore. They'll treat them like a joke, and make a religion of their own whims and lusts." These are the ones who split churches, thinking only of themselves. There's nothing to them, no sign of the Spirit!

But you, dear friends, carefully build yourselves up in this most holy faith by praying in the Holy Spirit, staying right at the center of God's love, keeping your arms open and outstretched, ready for the mercy of our Master, Jesus Christ. This is the unending life, the real life!

Go easy on those who hesitate in the faith. Go after those who take the wrong way. Be tender with sinners, but not soft on sin. The sin itself stinks to high heaven.

And now to him who can keep you on your feet, standing tall in his bright presence, fresh and celebrating—to our one God, our only Savior, through Jesus Christ, our Master, be glory, majesty, strength, and rule before all time, and now, and to the end of all time. Yes."
- Jude 1:15-25

No comments:

Post a Comment