Friday, May 27, 2011

The Blessing of Brokenness

I don't know about you, but I've had a rough time here lately emotionally. I've had some relational conflict stuff going on & I don't think anything gets to me more than having unresolved conflict in my life. However, one thing that I've been reminded of lately is

the blessing of brokenness.

What I'm referring to is the sensitivity that comes when you're hurting and choose not to be consumed any longer with self-pity. I'm not saying that it's not valid sometimes, when offenses are made against you, to be hurt and maybe even have the 'right' to be upset. I just think, as believers, that we're called to release those offenses, and by doing so, we give God access to minister to those broken places.

And it's there that He can turn our self-pity into compassion for others - because we can relate to their hurting. Our eyes start to open to others around us that are struggling with the same hurts, and like anyone that has been touched by Jesus, our disease begins to heal, one of mine being blindness. We recognize today what we missed yesterday in our comfortable seclusion, that this world is filled with broken, hurting, lonely people.

I can only speak for myself, but maybe you can relate to my tendency towards oblivion. It's so easy to get caught up in my own little world, even in ministry, and forget that there are people around me that need someone to ask how they are doing - and really mean it. Someone that will ask the question and stand there long enough to get the real response out of them.

It's really not until I need that done for me that I am aware that I can offer that to others. And that it's SO needed.

So, that's what I mean by the blessing of brokenness. When I'm broken, I tend to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit in ways that I'm not when things are 'good' in my little world. I know that Jesus hurts when I hurt, and I think in the same way, He allows me to hurt with Him for others around me as well - in a very small, minute way, sharing in His suffering (Philippians 3:10).

In times like this, I think about how often I crave comfort and avoid pain, a master at self-protection at times. But I don't realize that the more I avoid some things, the more I desensitize myself to what God would have me open my eyes and heart to, things He's always had His heart and eyes on. What if the very things that I go out of my way to avoid are the same things God intends to use in my life for His purposes, His glory, His renown?

What if the pain has purpose?

What if the brokenness is always a blessing?

No comments:

Post a Comment