Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Expectations

I'm currently reading and participating in an online study on "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. As I was posting this week's discussion questions, I had a thought that I wanted to share, and would love to hear your thoughts on the subject!

The thought was spurred off the following quote from Chapter 9 of OTG:

"Instead of filling with expectations, the joy-filled expect nothing."

I was thinking about this concept in conjunction with what I've heard taught before about 'waiting in expectation' on the Lord. And how again, it's these subtle things that trip us up.

It's like a little bit of unlevel ground beneath our feet that is so slight that as we're walking, not really intentional about our footing, can throw us flat on our faces.

The difference is that we don't wait in expectation of 'how' God is going to move - we wait in expectation for Him, period.

We wait in expectation that He will move on our behalf, that He is working in our situation, that He does hear our prayers.

But how often do I pray, and then 'wait in expectation' that He's going to answer my prayer in the way that I want it or think it should be done. I fill myself with all these thoughts and scenarios, and like Ann states, there's not room for joy because I'm distracted by my sense of control, like I'm dictating to God how it should be.

(Of course, that is rarely if ever my intent or conscious thought. But again....it's the unlevel ground that we step on when we're not intentional to make sure our foundation is on the Truth of God's Word and His Promises.)

I would love to hear your thoughts on what you feel "waiting in expectation" on the Lord means, and how that plays out in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment