Thursday, April 14, 2011

Persevere - Part 1

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." -Galatians 6:9

Persevere in doing good - don't give up! Press in and take hold of God's promises.

Sometimes - most of the time - I don't follow through with my own, personal goals.

Sometimes -most of the time - I think that I forfeit what God offers on the other end because I don't finish.

I start out, zealous and motivated. And then slowly, gradually, I start to lose sight of where I'm headed. I allow other things, maybe even 'good' things, to enter my schedule, my time, my attention - and I stop. I don't experience God in ways I could have if I had

but

persevered.

Can you relate? Are there promises in God's word that you don't feel you've ever taken hold of?

Benefits that He has to offer that you've never felt were bestowed on you?

Can you look back and see where maybe you got distracted from pursuing them, pursuing Him?

"You will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the LORD" - Jeremiah 29:13-14a

We have a God that can be found! He doesn't hide from us, but beckons us to Himself and even draws us to Himself.

"Draw near to Me, and I will draw near to you." James 4:8

Galatians 6 states that we will reap what we sow. If we persevere in doing good, in seeking God's way, we will reap God's way - His benefits, His blessings, Himself.

The Prince of Peace becomes our Peace.

Jehovah Rapha, the Healer, becomes our health.

The great Comforter becomes our comfort.


"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of His resurrection and participation in His sufferings (Lord, help me to desire this), becoming like Him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:7-14

No comments:

Post a Comment